Search This Blog

03 December 2008

No. 6 - Intra-logical Perspective

The other day I asked a young man where Heaven is. Smiling, he pointed upwards. I then asked him where Hell is. Frowning, he pointed downwards. I thought a moment then asked one final question for the sake of clarification: Was he saying Hell is a place some where within the Earth’s core where the Souls of the unfaithful go? He thought about it for a moment then said Hell, like Heaven is somewhere else, out beyond the physical plane of this planet. A very interesting conversation…

I thought the conversation was quite intriguing because I’ve been thinking a lot about Heaven and Hell, the thoughts and pictures that populate my mind when I consider them, and why it is that I think the way I do about them. It seems of late I’ve had a number of conversations around this matter with a number of different people so my interpretation of this is there must be some kind of Spiritual awareness awakening going on in throughout our community. A very good thing, indeed.

As I sat and contemplated this matter I got to the point where I began to ponder where my ideals and positions around this matter originated. As is the case for many of us my views were shaped by the religious habits and teachings I’ve been exposed to throughout my life. It was as a young child, going to Church with my family that the basis for my perspective was formed, and then many years later as I traversed life’s landscape that I became able to honestly consider this perspective.

So what does this have to do with Intra-logical Perspective? And what do I mean by Intra-logical Perspective?

I use the term in its literal sense. Intra, defined in Websters as: within and logical, defined in Websters as: capable of reasoning or of using reason in an orderly cogent fashion. And naturally, perspective, defined in Websters as: the capacity to view things in their true relations or relative importance. To summarize, the term means to look to the logic that is within oneself (that resonates at our Spiritual core) for the truth that rests therein.

I got to a place while considering questions surrounding Heaven and Hell where I asked myself what I think is the defining question. This question seemed to get to the very core of how I believe as I do, and how these beliefs have been formed. It follows…

If I had never been exposed to any religious doctrine, ceremony, or belief system and/or if no one had ever mentioned Heaven or Hell to me, based upon the natural influences of the Spirit that is within me, what opinion(s) would I have formed regarding this matter? A compelling question, indeed... One that I spent a considerable amount of time thinking about. One that challenged my natural reaction to resist thinking in this way because of the many times I had been told that challenging “conventional” thinking on Spiritual matters is considered blasphemous.

It seems to me that this is a basic question that is quite worthy of consideration and dialog because it creates an abundant opportunity to reflect upon that part of us that is MOST sacred and most intimately interwoven into our very sense of self. I think if we can step away from our tendency towards defensiveness or attack regarding this topic, we could tap into some very interesting aspects of who we are as individuals. In sharing these personal observations we would also create a forum to discover our inter-logical perspectives and, who knows, we might form some endearing and lasting friendships in the process.

I’ve been around long enough to know that most people rather shy away from considering topics with Spiritual/Religious implications but, alas, that is not my way. As a student of life and a seeker of understanding my calling is to challenge myself to openly consider all thoughts that enter into my conscious awareness. If I am to realize the fullness of my adulthood it is my belief that I must have the daring to objectively consider each thought or ideal that lends to how I perceive myself and the world I live in. In a nutshell, I’ve chosen to actively consider the messages, memories and thoughts that impact my psyche and cause me to be who I am – how else can I become a better person?

It is my hope that in considering this very daring notion we can each find a quiet space and time to touch and regard our individual intra-logical perspective and gain insights into what causes us to be who and as we are. I believe this is a good thing to do because it would bring each of us closer to knowing our full selves. It would give us a greater sense of our daring and tangible proof of our ability to think independent of all other influences. And it would help to create some very stimulating dialog around what we as individuals hold so near and dear to us.

No comments: