Search This Blog

10 December 2008

No. 23 - Did She Jump?

What causes a Queen to lose sight of self and think of committing suicide? What could happen to a mother, sister, Sister, wife, lover that would push her to the edge of her will to survive? What makes a woman want to end it all right here, right now?

These are the questions that ran through my mind on Saturday as I drove across the Bay Bridge and saw a beautiful Black Queen distraught, and about to end her life. Traffic was bumper to bumper as the rubberneckers look on with disbelief as this wonderful Sister stood there, braced against the outer fence, crying hysterically, and barely listening to the many policemen that surrounded her.

I wondered if she had recently discovered her man had cheated on her. Had she recently lost her job and, knowing she was now doomed because of the terrible job market, decided she could take the suffering no more? Or was she simply tired of the hurt, hardship and hypocrisy of the modern day? What was the reason?

I, too, slowed to look at her. I, too, was mesmerized by the images that pervaded my mind as a policeman extended his hand to her. “Sister”, I wanted to cry out, “don’t do this… you are beautiful and worthy of life”.

I eased over into the lane to stop… only to be told to keep it moving by one of the many officers there.

And there you have it. Even in our greatest time of need, when a life is immediately at risk of being lost, we are not allowed to offer our help. This is a theme that is replicated in social and government setting alike. In schoolrooms and boardroom, as well. It is difficult to articulate how significantly overwhelming and urgent my need to step up was at that moment. I can only say I am haunted by my inability to make a difference in this Sisters life.

But this is not where the story ends for it only serves as (yet another) reminder of how far we have to go to reclaim that which is lost and thought to be a thing of our past. It is one more demonstration of how low our society has gone and how sadly we have acted on behalf of our community.

I think there should have been a throng of Black Kings and Queens standing right there with her, urging her to remember her greatness. That throng should have reached out and collectively extended their hands to that Queen to give her the tangible proof she needed to know she was valued? That throng should have pushed aside the policemen who had no idea of her struggles, and let their will for her to live be known.

“Sister, don’t do this…”

I would like to feel encouraged that we can make a difference in our community and in our lives. I would like to know we are no longer afraid to demonstrate our caring for one another. I would like to create enough awareness within our community to get us started on our path to realizing the greatness that is within us all.

Today, I looked on line to see what I could find out about this ordeal, for surely there must have been some mention of it somewhere. And there was. The articles I ran across sited the long lines of traffic that were backed up because of the incident. They mentioned the slow going of traffic because of some unknown womans’ attempt to end her life. Now, to the credit of SF Gate I will concede they pointed out she responded favorably when her family came to her aid.

I rest my case.

Her family made the difference. Not the police, or the press, or the passersby. Her family. We should understand the value of this truth because it is a poignant demonstration of the power of family and love. We should take this truth to heart as we go about our daily toil because, whether we want to admit it or not, family always makes a difference in the lives of those who are troubled.

As I sit here I can start to feel better that, even though I was unable to do anything other then send out a prayer for this Queen, my prayer was answered and we have yet another reason to celebrate our strength as a people. For, indeed, we came to her rescue. And while I was not the active force that made her rescue possible, I am delighted to know that my fellow Brothers and Sisters did.

My message to all is quite simple as I reflect upon this ordeal, and as it settles in my mind…

Brothers and Sisters, Kings and Queens… we can do this.

No comments: