Search This Blog

03 December 2008

No. 18 - One Chance In Nine

When you look at who’s in the race to Presidency, I see a pretty striking depiction of what Black People have now accomplished. I see a brilliant B.L.A.C.K. Leader standing his ground against a tidal wave of money, influence, and seasoned expert public manipulation. I see him fighting for all of us even though we fail to see it, and even though we don’t all root for him.

I see one Black Man sparring toe-to-toe against hundreds of combined years of engrained political maneuvering. I see another strong Black family making it clear they “ain’t going nowhere”, and showing what family is. I see the path to advertising to the world that Black folk do live in America, and we are handling things.

I say, Amen, Brother, Amen.

So what does that means? Why should this be so very important to understand? We can simply do the numbers… Of the many politicians vying to become number one in America (lets just say there are nine candidates) Barack is the only Black candidate. That means it looks like they have eight more chances to win than we do by virtue of the number of people in their ethnic group. We have only one chance in nine. The odds are pretty even!

We have all the people we need in our collective networks to make the difference in the coming election. We are the most important group who can and must step to the plate to take our place in history. Our voice will make the difference to the outcome of the coming election. Our vote. So we need to keep that in mind when we contemplate this matter.

I have to ask my Black People if we truly care to take this opportunity and embrace our destiny now? I have to ask because our ancestors are turning away from us as they can no longer bear to witness the gloom and inactivity we allow to handicap us – and we’ve got to do something about that. I have to ask because each day I see another Brother or Sister I delight in knowing he or she is part of the solution to our problem. And because so many of us are saying they want this to change, and they are tired, wearied from all we’ve been up against. And finally because if you are sincere you will hear the truth resonating from your Spirit, and know that we need to get this together.

While history has not favored us in recent times, I rather continue to focus on the possibilities of the future, and doing what I can do today to bring about change. What we have in America today is History staring us in the face. Our History. Think what our vote can do, by coming together in a single voice. I refuse to allow anyone other than a bona fide Black person the privilege and honor of telling our story. And I think you share that sentiment.

In the Democratic front Obama and Hilary lead…

Let’s consider Obama. Hmmm. Black. Man.
Let’s consider Hilary. Hmmm. White. Woman.
Let’s consider Me. Hmmm. Black. Man.
Let’s consider You (woman). Hmmm. Black. Woman.
Let’s consider You (man). Hmmm. Black. Man

Let’s consider perspective:
Hmmm. Hilary is deeply immersed in the political system and processes that have been used to exploit our entire Cultural Ethnicity, ruin our family stability and our sense of community, and cause us all to suffer. Hilary is saying she will consult with Bill, if elected, the same as Bill had consulted her while he was President. Wait a minute..! First of all, I don’t recall too many things Hilary did, or Bill making it clear he was consulting her, during those eight years Bill was President. Who was really in charge, then? What logic and perspective was really driving the Nation? Bill, Hilary?

Secondly, I didn’t vote for Hilary, I voted for Bill. I think we need to see this one clearly… For Hilary and Bill to come at us like they can just assume we will accept it means they want us to believe a lie from the past, because this was not the picture they presented when Bill was President. Politic as usual in a very big way.

Barack, on the other hand, represents the freshness and vitality that comes from a more truthful perspective of the up’s and downs in our Community. He will represent us on the World stage because of something I mentioned just above… but I’ll be specific:

Let’s consider Barack. Hmmm. Black. Man.
Let’s consider Obama. Hmmm. African. Man.
Let’s consider Hilary. Hmmm. White. Woman.
Let’s consider Me. Hmmm. Black. Man.
Let’s consider You (woman). Hmmm. Black. Woman.
Let’s consider You (man). Hmmm. Black. Man

One Black Man on the top to represent the US to the World Stage will make us accountable for American influence throughout the World.

How many of us do you see as you go about your day? How many are in your networks that have shared with you their concerns for our community and future? Who do you know who is really a person of action?

We don’t need any other group to speak on our behalf or to represent our will. We have what we need in each other.

So when I look at the lay of the land, when I open my eyes to see our reality in it’s truest sense, and when I consider the infrastructure, interest, history, passion, life-long commitment and commonality in our purpose and desire to raise the flag even higher, I know the prize is yet to be had. I know the race has but begun and the thrill of dashing forward into history will be spectacular for us all.

I know that while the system has contrived to make the downward spiral of our Ethnic Group an International reality, it will not succeed. I know that while we have stopped from flying our banners of community and voice, they will soon fly again. And I know, that we will not let us fall. And finally, I know that they understand we are so powerful, that they had to send eight of them to deal with just one of us… just to keep things even.

No comments: