Search This Blog

10 December 2008

No. 41 - We Think in Memories

One has to admit there is a mystery we all must acknowledge when it comes to our thoughts and how they impact us. Scientists, psychologists, psychiatrist and myriad others have done so much work in an attempt to understand how the mind works, and how we are influenced our minds. Yet still many are confounded by how our thoughts control – even dictate - so much of who we are.

So I wanted to spend a bit of time thinking of thinking… yes, I said that right… thinking of thinking… just to “see” where my thoughts would lead me. It was a marvelous treat, indeed, to have this experience as I sat upon my balcony in contemplation.

Here’s something to consider: Take just a moment and go back to your fondest memory. Go back to that special memory that always brings a smile to your face and that has consistently delivered you from sadness, worry or despair… the one that might be shared by you alone or by you and someone near and dear to you. As you bring this memory to the forefront of your conscientiousness allow yourself to recall the emotions that are associated with the memory. Remember the laughter, the joy, the bliss, the erotic intimacy, the excitement, or whatever it is about this memory that makes it meaningful and relevant in your life.

In conducting this exercise you have just confirmed the very title of this dispatch. You have demonstrated in a very real way how thinking is based upon our memories and these memories are recollections of our past experiences that continue to resonate within us. And with these memories come the recollection of the great emotions that were experienced when these memories originated. One other thing has occurred in this exercise that we should pay more attention to because it is of the greatest value to us as individuals experiencing life: by recalling this great memory we are each able to influence our mood in a very direct and tangible way.

It is amazing to me to know how one can so easily bring about a strong emotional change simply by calling to mind a past memory. It is of monumental consequence that we have that level of control over our very experiences in life at any given time. It is so very comforting to know I have direct control over my emotional well-being.

Now let’s take this theme a bit further… into the future, if you please…

Imagine what would happen if we could each control the frequency of creation of our more happy and inviting memories. Imagine how we could shape a greater sense of self-harmony if we would but choose to find reason to smile at every challenge we face. And imagine how good we would feel at all times if we could harness the power of good memories and make it our daily goal to find reason to smile. We all can… we all just did.

It is my opinion that we are each responsible for creating meaningful and lasting positive memories from which to draw comfort and inspiration in our times of need. I have long felt it the duty and responsibility of parents to create lasting good memories for our children. And my experiences have taught me the only thing no one can ever take away from an individual is his/her memories. It is based upon these perspectives that I’ve been able to laugh when there was reason to cry… to stay my course when everyone has said to change paths… and to stay focused on my goals when so many distractions have been thrown in my path.

So as I continue to gain ground on achieving my most immediate goals I am compelled by the many great memories I hold dear to always find reason to smile and to always know there is reason to give thanks. It is a way of thinking that has proven to be a key contributor to how I go about approaching everyone I meet. And knowing that I have the capacity to create great memories every step of the way encourages me to investigate every challenge I face for the hidden jewels I know are hidden therein.

One other thing we can consider is the role our memories play in shaping how we regard and experience one another. From the perspective of the community we are collectively enjoying fewer opportunities to create and appreciate great memories. Therefore, we have fewer reasons to associate great memories with coming together to experience one another. We have come to accept our broken sense of connectedness and community as the norm. And as we tackle the challenges of life we have less time with each passing year to come together as we did many years ago.

But what would happen if we were to actively choose to come together in celebration of our families, communities, and cultures? What kind of impact would this have on our society?

Well, we would restore a greater sense of community Spirit and individual recognition. We would begin to connect on a deeper level to our Brothers and Sisters who are our neighbors. We would start the process of creating more enriching, meaningful, and valued memories with everyone we share ourselves with.

And when we are facing the many challenges that continue to plague our communities we would have a greater number of wonderfully delightful thoughts to keep us company because we will know there is always reason to smile.

No comments: