Search This Blog

10 December 2008

No. 14 - Bhutto’s Last Call

The phone rings… once, then again. It’s 3 a.m. His restless sleep is interrupted… slowly he surfaces from his torment.

Ring…

Asif: Hello…
Benazir: Asif, wake up you cow.

He makes a stifled laugh.

Asif: You’re coming home, yes?
Benazir: Not now, Love.
Asif: How are things?
Benazir: Things are as they are.

A pause.

Benazir: You recall the discussion we had… about…
Asif: Yes, yes. What of it?
Benazir: We must discuss it again.
Asif: Zirree, It’s late, can we not talk about that another time. Tomorrow, perhaps.
Benazir: Asif, my dearest, we must talk now.

He sits on the bed, wiping his eyes, shoulders slumped. He looks around the dimly lit room. No one else is around.

Asif: Then we shall, talk.
Benazir: You have been good to me. You have tolerated this journey I’ve embarked upon and you have always supported me.
Asif: As you have been to me. Must we speak of this now?
Benazir: Just listen to me. Just listen.

She looks out of the window of the uncomfortable house she’s found so hard to sleep in. She paces the floor. A tear wells up. She catches it even before it reaches its fullness.

Benazir: There is but one path to take now. There is only one option left to me. You know, Asif, the only way the world will see the truth is for me to expose it. I’ve done as much as I can. But now I must do one more thing.
Asif: For God’s sake, what are you speaking of?
Benazir: My Love, the course has been run. The people are awake and desire their voice be heard. The factions that are against me, against us, have aligned and they expect me to cower in fear. Truth requires far more then that.

He senses grief about to overtake him. He understands where the conversation is heading. Slowly, he stands up, now fully awake. His body straightens as he commits to listen.

Asif: My heart is yours.

A tear slowly tracks down her cheek. She’s torn between her desire to cry - her need to cry - and her wanting to feel he will accept her decision.

Benazir: I must demonstrate my willingness to give my all. Fear can have no hold over me. Sooner or later they will find their mark… my fate is already sealed. Therefore, I cannot hide behind others. I must be with the people because I am for the people. They must know they do have a voice.
Asif: You speak the truth. But, why now? Could you have not told me this on tomorrow?
Benazir: Tomorrow is not promised, my Love.

The two pause, united in their acceptance of what is to come. In silent homage to their love and their life they shed yet another tear. Silence.

Asif: I remember our first kiss. How beautiful you have always been. I was in love with you forever.
Benazir: You always know how to make me smile.
Asif: You have been a true inspiration to humanity. You are loved and respected by many.
Benazir: And you have shown me the meaning of Love and sacrifice. Let my children know…
Asif: I shall, I shall… Well, you must get some rest. Tomorrow is shortly here.
Benazir: I would that there was something more to say…
Asif: You have said it all.

She hangs up the phone, wrapping her arms around herself. He stands there, phone in hand, lost in the revelation of his impending loss.

Less then 24 hours later Benazir Bhutto was assassinated. She had made the decision to expose herself to a brutal murder because she came to understand this was the only way to illuminate the plight of her people.

I am not one to say I knew or followed Benazir Bhutto but I can tell you her willingness to sacrifice her own life for what and who she believed in reminds me of the Power of righteous love. In following the unfortunate circumstances of her untimely demise, I have to say I have the utmost respect for her as a woman, as a politician, and as a Woman of Color. Her murder takes my mind back to our past, into our present, and forward to our future.

Much Love, Much respect

No comments: